Id Al Fitr 2018: UAE astronomer predicts end of Ramadan
Hailing the torchbearers of this holy month… towards the end of this blog...
This post is an insight into how we take our privileges for granted especially during this month. Undoubtedly, we are blessed to be residents of a country whose pillar of faith allows an eased out fasting for the believers in comparison to non-Gulf nations.
How about reflecting on these comparisons to other countries:
We are privileged with:
· Shorter office hours
· Delayed school timings and lesser periods
· Leniency in the reporting time to office (in most workplaces)
· Few or no temptations to eat, due to “non-eating in public” norms
· Non-fasting population who adhere to these norms out of reverence to the faith
· Hours to make up for the missed night sleep owing to early home-return
· All night suhoor sessions..with eatouts serving tempting savouries
· More time to spend with family compared to other months
· Daily complimentary meals at every Masjid Iftar, a boon for esp the ones who do not have their family here
· Convenience of closer proximity to Masjids, due to numerous prayer venues, for the night taravi
· Better understanding and respect on the concepts of Islam by non-Muslims
· Atleast 3 days off for the Festival
· An entire nation being a part of the fasting month and eventually celebrating Id-ul-Fitr just like one family.
And yet, we complain about :
· the summer heat, despite being in the AC 24/7
· the drive back during jammed office-return hours
· the drill of returning to work after a heavy suhoor
· missing an off if a Friday or Saturday came in between the Id holidays!
Which just so prompts a reflection on the genuine fasting population:
· the labourers (could we put ourselves out there for hours in the scorching heat?)
Hailing the torchbearers of this holy month
….no prizes for guessing who they are…. our Women,
…. this month is a testimony that they are indeed the back-bone of every home:
· waking up earlier than the rest to prepare suhoor,
· to packing school tiffins
· to preparing food
· to feeding children whilst fasting
. to cleanin up, mopping, washing, cooking (in countries where domestic help is unaffordable)
· working on freelancing assignments (if she is a homebound workaholic)
· delegating tasks (if she is an office employee) ensuring everything’s in order for kids and iftar
· managing to report to office with the same vibrancy and cheerfulness like her non-fasting months (in comparison to the mournful public appearances few choose)
· to arranging for iftar
· and yet, making time to pray …
is self-analytical, meticulous and believes in fate... A deep fascination for history often subjects her to time-travel through the realm of her subconscious mind!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, WITH NO ADDITIONAL COSTS TO YOU WHATSOEVER.
Check out latest job postings at:
an engrossing E-Read
for your kids
authored by a kid !